Things have been much better the past day or so. We've made a few changes, and you've been sleeping great the past two nights - four to seven hour stretches. Somehow mama feels more tired though! It's been a whirlwind of a week, and I'm looking forward to settling into this new groove. Your day time sleeping isn't so swell though... we're working on that. Some things that have been happening the past couple days:
Exhibit A: The worst blowout yet.
Yeah, gross. This happened about 5 minutes before Dad got home. Right after this happened, you also decided it would be fun to spout milk all down mom's front, too. Needless to say, we waited for Dad to get home to start the clean-up. He was so happy we saved it for him! I had you laying on your belly on my lap while we peeled your clothes off and got you ready for the bath, and you thought it was so fun! You laughed - a real true laugh. I'm not sure why it was so funny! Normally you hate being on your tummy! Oh Henry, we LOVE your laugh. We've only heard it a couple of times so far, but it is the most blessed noise I've ever heard. The first time happened a few nights ago. You made a cute noise, and Dad and I laughed. Then you laughed, which made us laugh, and you laughed again and again and again - which had us rolling, too. It was the sweetest thing. We so look forward to hearing that laugh more and more as you get older.
On that note, stop growing up. It's happening too fast, and mama can't keep up. I love watching you grow and discover, but a little piece of my heart breaks each time you have a "growing up" thing happen - like finding your fists - because I just want you to stay a little baby forever. But, we all know you can't and you won't, so we just love and enjoy each day with you. You're such a blessing.
Exhibit B: You being happy.
This was yesterday, and you were happier than I'd seen you in a couple days. Amazing what a good nights sleep will do! We went out in the morning and visited your friend Olivia - she's the sweetest little girl I think I've ever known - she just radiates happiness and light. You love her - and gave her a big smile to show it. She wanted to touch your toes, and you were okay with that. You loved being outside while I chatted with her mama, even though you were past ready for a nap. There's just something about "outside" that soothes you. I don't know what we'l do this winter! Bundle you up, I guess, as I'm sure you're not going to be content staying inside for months. I won't be, either. I hope you don't mind the cold too much!
Last night you went on a date with mama and dad, and you were perfect. You fell asleep right away, and slept for most of our date! It was so nice, sweet boy. After we got home, there was a big storm outside, and you were a little unsure of it all. But, we put you in the bath, and you were happy happy happy - until you weren't. Then it was jammies, a bottle, and you went right to sleep. Bless your perfect little heart. You slept in your crib for the first time last night, and you did so well. Mama isn't so sure she's ready for you to be in a different room yet, but I guess it has to happen sometime. I just miss you when you're so far away in that other bedroom! We've been trying to get you to sleep in there for naps, too, and it's not your favorite, but I'm trying to be persistent and hope you'll get used to it. You're sleeping there now, and I'm hoping it will be for more than 30 minutes this time - you're so tired.
Exhibit C: Today.
These pictures were taken this morning, when you were real happy. It's now almost 10pm, and I'm just now getting to finishing this. You could take that as a sign of how the rest of the day went. You poor babe - you just won't sleep. You had three 20 minute naps today between 8 am and 9 pm. That is just not anywhere near enough sleep for your tiny growing body. Your eyelids have been so heavy all day long. It's been such a long day, and mama is exhausted. I've given up for tonight and you're sleeping in your swing right now. I may let you stay there all night, and snooze on the couch next to you. Oh I hope you sleep, really, for your sake more than mine. You've done okay today, but have just wanted to be cuddled and with that binky in - though you've seemed too tired to be able to hold it in yourself. I'm starting to think that the medicine you're taking for reflux is causing this - you stopped wanting to sleep after we started giving it to you, and from what I've found, that's not an uncommon reaction for babies. We'll be putting in a phone call to our friend Connie the nurse tomorrow. She's the one who laughs each time she sees you, and has to show all the other nurses and doctors around how big you've gotten in so little time. We love her!
Henry babe, we love you. Being your mama is so hard some days - especially when it comes to not knowing how to help you. Sometimes, I've exhausted all of my resources and knowledge to try and help you, and still nothing works. It's times like those, and days like today, that I am ever so grateful for Dad, and when he comes home, and prayer. I rely on your dad and our Heavenly Father so so much to try and be the best mama I can for you. Sweet baby Henry... you teach me so much. Thank you. Now sleep soundly, and hope no one needs to call me tonight - rough week to be on-call for work, huh?
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment