2.02.2015

And Then There Was Sam.

Everything with Sam (before he was born) was a little wild, to be honest. I was equal parts hysterical (in a not good way)/excited when we found out he would be coming. Henry was a mere 8 months old, and I'll never forget that day - it was the day Henry babbled "mama" for the first time. Oof. 

Fast forward 9 months. We went to church. We ate grilled cheese and soup. We took a 2.5 hour nap. We had a baby. 

(I can't figure out how to turn this the right way)
Really, in my mind, that's how the day Sam was born went in my mind. It was a normal Sunday, and then we had a baby. I still can't wrap my mind around it. 

I had had a few contractions reeeeally randomly and hours apart Saturday - Sunday, and it wasn't until after our Sunday nap that things picked up. I had been downstairs for a while, but then I started hurting pretty bad, pretty quickly, so I went upstairs to lay down. With Henry, I was induced, so I really wasn't sure what to expect going into labor on my own. 

It wasn't long before I called Daniel in because I couldn't really talk through the pain and I couldn't really stand up when it hit. And I couldn't decide if they were 3 or 6 minutes apart (they were 3). I wasn't convinced - I couldn't really  be in labor. We went to the hospital per triage's instruction, but I was sure we'd be sent home.


We got to triage, I was dilated to a 6, and I was okay. For like 5 minutes. And then I was sure I was dying. And everything was making me mad.

Why is it taking so long for the nurse to come in? Why is it taking so long to get us into a room? Why do I have to lay on this gurney it's IMPOSSIBLE. Poor Daniel.

We got into a room after an hour (or something), then I was really upset. I'm not someone who gets upset really easily, but man, I just remember feeling so mad! Why can't they get the IV in? Why have my normally giant veins completely disappeared? Why can't I find any way to make this stop hurting? WHY IS ANESTHESIA TAKING SO LONG??? SURELY there can't be ANYONE who needs an epidural more than I do right now. (Yeah, I wasn't being terribly logical). Poor Daniel. What a champ.

Confession: I was terrified that I was going to have this baby without any pain relief. And I'm the biggest wimp on the planet. And apparently when I get that scared, I get mad.

Add to that I'm sure (and as Daniel has confirmed) I was making sounds through every contraction that were embarrassing, but whatever, I don't remember that, thankfully. 


At 9 cm the anesthesiologist arrived, and I could tell no one wanted me to get the drugs, we were having a baby in like 5 minutes. I remember distinctly telling them that I didn't care what they gave me, JUST GIVE ME SOMETHING I'M DYING (I left out the dying part - they probably guessed that's what I thought was happening with how pathetic I was).

They told me to tell them if I felt like pushing while they put the spinal in. I felt it. I was pushing involuntarily. I didn't tell them. I was getting those drugs.


Sam was born an hour later at 7:36 pm. 12 short minutes of pushing and our beautiful big boy was in my arms. I wasn't mad anymore. :)



He weighed the same as Henry, a half inch shorter, and looked nothing like his big brother (in my opinion). He had a double chin, thanks, I'm sure, to the carton of ice cream I ate every other day basically in the last three months, and looooong arms and legs. He was here, and I couldn't believe it. I WAS JUST AT CHURCH. I JUST WOKE UP FROM A NAP 4 HOURS AGO.






The view from our room - gorgeous!









26 hours later and we were home. The seasons changed overnight and my other baby Henry grew up overnight. I think I said "I don't know what's going on with my life" a million times that first month. Thankfully Grandma was here to save us, and help us adjust. We couldn't have done it without her. Thankfully, I didn't really feel like I had a baby, and was able to sleep 50 times a day while Grandma was here so I recovered pretty quickly. Thank heaven for Grandma. She's our angel.

Welcome to the family, Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment